THE HEALTH CARE SURVEILLANCE AUTHORITY (hereinafter “HCSA”)
The HCSA has been established by the Act No 581/2004 Coll. on health insurance companies, health care supervision and on the amendment and supplementing of certain laws, as amended as a legal entity which is vested with performing surveillance over provision of health care and public health insurance in the field of public administration. The HCSA performs surveillance over all relevant aspects of health service system in order to keep the financial stability, efficiency and solidarity of the system.
The HCSA mainly
- supervises public health insurance,
- supervises provision of health care and contracts on health care,
- acts as liaison body for provision of health care covered by public health insurance system in relation to liaison bodies of Member States of the European Union, Norway, Liechtenstein, Iceland and Switzerland,
- acts as a national contact point,
- assigns codes to health care providers and health care professionals,
- administrates central register of insured persons,
- administrates list of payers of premium,
- carries out toxicological examinations etc.
Bodies of the HCSA
- the Chairman
- the Management Board
- the Supervisory Board
The Chairman of the HCSA is statutory and executive body of the HCSA. The Chairman of the HCSA is appointed and dismissed by the Government of the Slovak Republic on the proposal of the Minister of Health. The tenure lasts five years. The Chairman can be appointed only for two following tenures at most. Since 29th April 2021 Ing. Renáta Bláhová, MBA, FCCA, LL.M. has been appointed as a Chairman of the HCSA.
The Management Board consist of 7 members. They are appointed and dismissed by the Government of the Slovak Republic on the proposal of the Minister of Health. The tenure of the member of Management Board is five years. The membership is limited to two following tenures at most.
The Supervisory Board consists of 5 members and it is the inspection body of the HCSA. Members are elected and dismissed by the National Council of the Slovak Republic on the proposal of the Government of the Slovak Republic. The tenure lasts five years.
Organisational units of the HCSA:
- the headquarters: Žellova 2, 829 24 Bratislava 25
- branches: Bratislava, Trnava, Trenčín, Martin, Banská Bystrica, Nitra, Košice, Prešov
- forensic and pathological and anatomical units: Bratislava, Nitra, Žilina, Martin, Banská Bystrica, Prešov, Poprad, Košice